KWG In-Depth Critique meetings are held bi-monthly during the second week. Deadlines for submissions are generally one week before the meeting. Work may be fiction, non-fiction, essay, play, or poetry. Fiction may be a short story or novel excerpt. If it is an excerpt please provide a brief synopsis of what the readers need to know.
- Word document, sent as attachment
- Double spaced, 12 pt., Courier font, pages numbered
- Include your name and the work’s title at the top of the first page and include what form the piece is (short story, poem, novel excerpt, etc.)
- Send work to Dave Gourdoux at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You do not have to submit a piece to participate in the critique; notify Dave that you want to be a reader so that he’ll send you the submissions to critique.
All submissions will be emailed to participants about a week or so prior to the meeting. At the meeting, the author reads a page to a page and a half of the piece.
1st round: participants point out what’s working in the piece and anything they especially liked.
2nd round: participants may ask questions and comment on problematical areas. the author does not comment or reply to questions during the first two rounds.
3rd round: the author answers and/or asks questions, and may comment on the feedback received.
Participants may print out pieces and write their comments on the submissions, or bring their laptops with pieces downloaded and provide verbal critiques.